Friday, January 9, 2009

Saludos de Chile

Hola todos!!

Well, here I am in Chile- FINALLY!!!  I had some trouble figuring out how to create a new blog so sorry it took awhile for me to write a new one...but here it is!!

My flights went really well- the one from Chicago to Dallas was on time and really smooth and then the one from Dallas to Santiago, Chile was also on time, although not as smooth!  It was a nine hour flight and a lot of it was bumpier than the craziest of rollercoasters!  But I like rollercoasters so it was all good :)

My host family is really awesome.  They came to pick me up at the University (our program coordinator brought us there por autobus) and I was totally blown away as I entered into a humongous six or seven bedroom home!!  It's gorgeous- brand new kitchen, beautiful bathrooms and nice furniture.  Here is what my family consists of (and what it will consist of...)

-Mama: Raquel, 55 years old, really sweet and attentive, speaks real slow too so I can understand her!!
-Papa: Carlos, 63 years old, really nice and VERY goofy!!  he speaks a bit swifter so communicating with him has been a bit difficult
-Erick: 24 years old, pretty nice, likes to make jokes and tease which I guess I'm not used to since I've never had an older brother to tease me!!  he has a girlfriend (or "polola" as they say cuz "novia" means fiance) who is a sweetheart, Janette
-Egon, 18, pretty nice but kinda distant.  he keeps getting phone calls so i'm guessing he's gotta a lotta friends and likes to think more about that than about the new people living in his home.
-Peter: 21, a U.S. student from Reno, Nevada who goes to Stanford and is studying at Stanford's campus here until April.  Very nice and a good person to have when i get tripped up with my spanish and when I have a question about how he has dealt with certain things like adapters for the electrical circuits and how he has gotten around on the transportation system here.  there has been a lot of confusion for me with exchanging money and all that so it's been good to have other U.S. students to help! 
-Two girls from Switzerland: don't know anything except they'll be here in this house for two weeks... I think...

so, it was really funny, Peter is part of a group of Stanford students and one of those students is a girl who went to high school with me- Arelys.  so we were very surprised to see each other at the fiesta that my host family had for all the foreign students in the neighborhood last night.  it's a small world!!

well, i did not sleep a wink last night because there was a party going on last night next door to me.  music was blasting till 6am and i was in my bed cursing the day i decided to come to Chile!!  haha, but my mama told me that it was a very strange occurrence for there to be such a loud and crazy party next door so i hope that either there isn't another one tonight or that exhaustion takes hold of me and i'm able to sleep through it!

well, i'll write more later about the other things i want to mention but am too tired to do now:
-friend of mine who got robbed today

well actually i can't think of more but i might go out clubbing tonight so i'll let y'all know how it goes!!!

hasta luego!
Laurita

3 comments:

  1. That's crazy that you ran into Arelys in Chile of all places. Tell her that I say hi!
    I am relieved that you had a safe flight. I hope your friend is okay :-(
    Thanks for blogging
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cool! Can't wait for the adventures to come. But remember, sleep is more important in the long run than fun. Haha. No, but really.

    BE SAFE OUT THERE! Peter sounds especially cool.

    ReplyDelete